Friday, April 8, 2011

Scheduling

Personally, I've never had a problem with scheduling.  I came to Wittenberg with a few extra credits from AP classes I took in high school so I was one of the first groups of freshman to schedule.  Since then, I've only dropped one class and have taken a summer internship that gave me 8 extra credits so that I would be even more ahead of the game, especially when it comes to scheduling.

Honestly, I laugh at a lot of the people that have trouble with scheduling because they are the people that have dropped multiple classes, are behind in credits, or don't take the initiative to email a professor beforehand to at least ask them if they could potentially save them a spot for a particular class or add them in.  I think that Wittenberg's system of scheduling is the best way they could possibly do it, with students' number of credits determining how early or late they schedule.  It is the most fair way to do it because it would really piss a lot of people off if the lazy students that don't even give a shit about school and drop a class because it gets a little too hard for them, scheduled before everyone else.

So the system is not the problem, but I think the number of classes offered for certain majors is.  I do feel for a lot of Communication students because the Comm department really does not offer enough 300 level classes for upperclassmen or even underclassmen who want to get ahead.  I've had several friends that have gotten closed out of several Comm classes every single semester.  Must be frustrating.  But at the same time, if you know what you want your major to be early on, then I would suggest that you start chipping away at classes as soon as possible.  I'm really happy that I did it that way.  I finished my political science major the first semester of my junior year, except for methods.  Essentially, all  have to do to graduate is take two more classes for each of my minors, and I have been able to do so along with taking on 12 credits for 3 semesters of college.  Convenient huh? 

Honestly, if students just took some initiative to do things the right way and not save all of their important classes for their last two years, they will have a lot less pressure to stuff classes into their schedules to graduate.  Balance is key.  Like taking two gen ed's and two major/minor classes per semester.  It's really not that complicated and it makes scheduling a lot less complicated as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment