Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ridiculous Rules

I hate to air any dirty laundry, but I have so many mixed feelings about Greek life at Witt and the rules.  Don't get me wrong I love my sorority and the people in it but some of the rules are obnoxious.  In my opinion, we are in college and should be able to make our own decisions for ourselves.  I know that when you are a part of an organization, you have to follow their guidelines as well but I think you should be able to consider those guidelines and decide for yourself what is appropriate in certain situations.  For example, I left a social early a couple weekends ago because I was nervous that one of my good friends was getting a little too drunk.  Since I know very well what kind of states this individual can go into when she gets too drunk, I made the executive decision to make her leave and to take her back to campus where she wouldn't get in trouble.  While I probably should have told our social chair about the situation and have pondered other possible ways that I could help my friend without breaking the no leaving early rules, I acted out of instinct and was being a little overprotective of my friend.  Not long after we left, I got an angry call from a member asking where I was etc.  I tried to explain very clearly and rationally why I left and that I was just trying to be responsible, but continued to get screamed at.  I realize that I should have handled things differently, but I think that she could also address the situation differently.  And for that, I had to be a sober monitor at our formal.  But what defines a sober monitor?  I had a couple of drinks before hand and one beer at the formal and then got in trouble again for not being sober.  But who said I was drunk?  It is interesting also because another member was supposed to be sober throughout the entire event but she also had a couple drinks.  Though the situation is quite hypocritical, this member is also trying to make me go to relay for life for three hours during Saturday night so basically I can't go out.  Shouldn't she be doing the same then?  I just think its ridiculous, I was quite alert enough to handle myself if any adverse situation arose and shouldn't be treated like a child who cannot control themselves.  Luckily this came at a good time because I'm sick and wont be able to go out this weekend, and probably not to relay for life either... I don't want to make it worse by sitting in the cold for reasons other than actually wanting to be there to support the cause...which I will do earlier in the day :)  My thoughts are that it is college and how should anyone basically be able to tell you that you can't go out on a Saturday night? 

No comments:

Post a Comment