Friday, March 18, 2011

These are a Few of my Favorite Things

....About Witt.  It honestly makes me really sad after reading a lot of your blogs where the negatives of Witt either outweighed the positives, or you couldn't think of any positives at all.  I know that I have been frustrated with a lot of different things since I've been here, but at the same time, I don't think I could be any happier.  I love this place.  I think my favorite thing is all of the people that I have made friends with that I never thought I would get the opportunity to meet.  Because people are so involved in Witt, you get to meet so many different groups of people... from different classes, sports teams, Greek life, intramurals, secret societies, student senate, etc. If I didn't play soccer or join my sorority or wasn't involved in other things, I never would have met a lot of amazing people.  And maybe it is because I am from NY that I think people are a lot nicer here for the most part, but I have always felt comfortable in the Witt community and college has been drama free for me.

And I know that everyone complains about certain classes and attendance policies and such, but that is one of the reasons I went to Witt. We are PRIVILEGED to have small classes where we can actually have class discussions and raise our hands without being ignored by our professors.  Our opinions are respected and challenged, as they will be when we all have jobs.  I think that the atmosphere is perfect with that transition, working with small groups of people, giving presentations, speaking our minds.  Yes, at times it absolutely sucks.  Take it from me, I don't like presentations that much, but they have really improved my public speaking skills and are preparing me for the future.  You can't deny that these little things will help you later in life.

I love that everyone still gets as drunk as I did in high school.  I know that sounds ridiculous but I don't think I could ever top some of those nights I had my freshman/sophomore year in high school.  But at Witt, everyone likes to have a good time and will go to extreme lengths to make sure they do.  I rarely have to pay for my own drinks because the party supplies, or the bar goers are generous.  At other schools, you have to pay to get into parties...seriously?  I think the worst I've had to do is get my own alcohol to pregame with or chip in $5 when we have parties with other sports teams or organizations.  Honestly, that's lucky, and not to mention, it saves me from spending all of my money on alcohol.  What could be better than that?

If nothing else, I'm proud so say I go to Witt.  At the end of the day, despite all of the little things that piss me and everyone else off about this campus, I think that the positives overwhelmingly outweigh the negatives.  No, it's not all perfect or glorious, but think about it.  I know that you wouldn't trade your Witt community for anything, despite our imperfections.  We are all here for a reason, and I think everyone truly loves this place, they just have to consider what they would miss if they never went here.

No comments:

Post a Comment